Meaty Comfort Chili
Cold days call for warm, hearty comfort food and, boy, do I have the perfect recipe for you today. This Meaty Comfort Chili has all of the warmth, flavor and comfort that you could ask for in a healthy dinner. This recipe tastes even better the next day!
You have several serving options with this chili. You could serve it in bowls, topped with a sprinkle of cheese, a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of fresh green onions. You could scoop it over freshly baked sweet potato. You could use it to dress up a serving of scrambled eggs. You could serve it, chilled, over a large salad. The possibilities are endless. Enjoy!
Here’s what you need…
- 6 oz. hot turkey Italian sausage, loose
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 Tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped and seeded
- 2 Tablespoons chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons coconut sugar OR honey
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ¼ cups Merlot or other fruity red wine
- 1 (28oz) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
- 2 (15oz) cans no-salt-added kidney beans, drained
- Sour cream (optional garnish)
- Shredded cheese (optional garnish)
- Green onion (optional garnish)
- Diced tomatoes (optional garnish)
- Heat a large heavy bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, onion, bell pepper, garlic, ground beef and jalapeno to pan; cook 8 minutes or until sausage and beef are browned, stirring to crumble.
- Add chili powder, coconut sugar, cumin, tomato paste, oregano, black pepper, salt and bay leaves and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, tomatoes, and kidney beans; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard the bay leaves. Sprinkle each serving with the garnishes.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 284 calories, 1g fat, 79mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate, 12g fiber, and 16g protein
I hope that you get a chance to give this recipe a try this week. Remember that Team IDEAL is only a call or email away to assist you in all things fitness.
And if you have yet to try the IDEAL experience… what are you waiting for!?
Call or email me now or click here to set up your FREE WEEK TRIAL so you can test out the EVOLUTION of fitness. Team IDEAL is here to help you achieve your IDEAL body!
Be Real, Be IDEAL
Jeremy S White